Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Graciousness of God.

The graciousness of God is something that I have been in contemplation of lately. And more specifically: His grace in revealing what is not of Him.

I had an experience a few weeks ago with a good friend in which we have been friends for some time... and yes, I had become the sort of person, nay, Christian, that I had wish I had not become... Needless to say, the Lord had allowed me to finally see for myself the sort of person I had become: I was mortified and made the decision to turn some things around in my life and begin to choose Joy instead of x,y,z... (Fine: let's just say it: negativity, unthankfulness, etc.) Anyways, my friend had made a decision as well: to confront me in each of these issues... but all at once.

It was rough, for several reasons. A.) God had already worked in me and my heart and B.) I had begun to change in those areas.. (and C.) who really does well when being confronted with all the horribleness of oneself?)

This story ends well: We worked through the fight (disagreement, battle, etc, whatever you want to call it) and perhaps are even stronger because of it. But honestly, this story is part of a much bigger story: There was a moment when going through this in which I realized and prayed, "Lord, thank You SO MUCH for not always revealing the worst things about me all at once!" Now granted, I haven't always experienced this, or rather, have handled being convicted so well either (nor will I probably always in the future as well)... but it was an eye opening experience and freedom that I pray I will never forget.

But almost even more importantly, I realized that I want this characteristic of God's to be one that I can and will carry into my current and future relationships: to "speak truth in love" (Ephesians 4:15) and to remember that "He who began a good work in [us] will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:16) (Aka: not in one day nor one conversation.)

So: if His work will not be finished until the day He returns and He is just that patient with me: I owe nothing less to others than to extend that same measure of grace to others.
------------

1 Corinthians 16:14 "Let all that you do be done in love."


1 comment:

  1. I have a good friend too..one I am happening to marry soon....who loves to tell the truth and sometimes it feels like its "all at once" and I often think that its those friendships that are the BEST but also so so hard to sometimes think..."is that REALLY how I am or is it just how that person sees me (right now)..."and either way...its never good to feel that our worst side is showing....but we are blessed to have GOOD friends who tell the truth...but I do agree I am so glad that God reveals truth to us...in His timing...and that HE LOVES US! oh how he loves us....that is the song that I have been clinging to for a few years now....He is jealous for me...but HE loves me and that is HUGE!!!!

    and I know that my best friend only tells me the truth because he loves me too and he is not a mean or malicious person and even though it hurts...I am glad he tells me the truth!

    so thank you for sharing this! I know its hard to be honest like this on a blog but its so good and encouraging! I love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete