Friday, November 7, 2014

A [Single's] Holiday Perspective

Even as I write this post, I can hear the, "But Shauna!'s" that are going to come out. I plead with you to A.) read this entire post first and B.) acknowledge this: You are most likely married and/or have kids... And you, dear friend, are whom I writing to.

-----
I am 32 years old.
Single.
I love Jesus.
I am not extremely close with my family.
So you know what?
THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS HARD.
Real hard.

As the years roll forward on Social Media, people often find the courage to write and "share" about causes that which they may not do otherwise. Or be able to otherwise. One of these causes is the, "I will not shop at __________ on Thanksgiving (or Christmas) because their employees should be home with their family!"

And you know what? I get it.
 I really, really get it

But you know what I also get?
I get that I've been that person that once worked at 16 hour shift at a Girl's Shelter on Christmas Day for no other reason than, well, "I'd rather work on Christmas than be alone all day."

Being in your head can be a really dangerous place for someone during the Holiday Season. Even now, as I am the healthiest I have ever been, spiritually, physically and emotionally I can honestly say: I am bracing myself for this upcoming Season. And to add to that, I'm so looking forward to this Season.

But I have not always looked forward to the Holiday Season.

I've had years of living paycheck to paycheck and feeling guilty for any purchase: never mind a gift. Having jobs that I wasn't particularly happy in. Years of having to figure out life and major life-decisions without someone to walk through it all with. Years of needing that time and a half to help pay for a Christmas gift or a bill. Years of crying while hearing, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and not being able to explain why the tears are flowing.

I have been so blessed to have families "adopt" me during the Holiday Season. My best friend and her family have adopted me now for several years for Christmas. (In fact, the part of the tradition I bring is making Christmas Breakfast- or the Christmas Breakfast/Dinner). Friends of mine in NH have adopted me the last couple of years for Thanksgiving. I, of course, have my moments of just wanting to curl up in a corner and hide sometimes.. and sometimes I do. But even in that: it's nice to hear voices and laughter around those corners.

This year I am hoping to start a new tradition. I've invited a young co-worker to come to my place for Thanksgiving Day. It is time that I begin to reach out to others the way that so many have reached out to me and given me a place to not hear silence.

So my request to you is this... Though America is all about being corporate and making as much money as possible, that those who may be working at the grocery stores and coffee places may rather be at work that day than to be home alone. Of course, I'm sure that many would rather be home, but I am telling you from a place of experience: I would have rather have been at work.

So maybe when you go into Starbucks or your local grocery store, you could bless them by giving them something: a gift card. A "thank you". [Lord knows if you live in the Boston area, we are not known for being friendly people... we're known for our cut-offs: verbally and with our cars.] Who knows, maybe you could even invite a stranger to your dinner.

So, as you stress out over where Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner is going to be hosted in a few weeks.. and over what to make and what to bring.... I plead with you to look around. At the very least, you have stressed out because there are people in your life: Not everyone has that option. Is there someone that just transferred to your work and may not have family around? Is there someone at your church that is new or you notice just sort of looks around, too shy to start a conversation? Or perhaps, just perhaps it's the person right under your nose... that you never thought would struggle with being alone, but truly is.

----------------
"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others...So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone... [For] the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (Philippians 2:4, Galatians 6:9,10 & Matthew 25:40.)


6 comments:

  1. aww beautiful post! I love it! I love your heart and your perspective and I can relate in many ways but also know that no story is the same. I am glad you are so open and honest with yours! i love that you are having a Friends-giving and hope that it is amazing and blesses your and (their) hearts and that you look forward to it! love ya so much my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so encouraging! Thank you for providing solidarity and for putting into words my own sentiments. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one who is in a profession that doesn't shut down for holidays, I can empathize with those who for a variety of reasons either have to or choose to work the holiday.

    I have worked my fair share of Thanksgivings AND Christmases (working both this year).

    Thanks for your boldness in saying what many feel, but may not be able to verbalize as succinctly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your heart and authenticity kicks my ass every time I read it. Thanks for sharing the journey. Your pretty cool you know. :)

    “In a futile attempt to erase our past, we deprive the community of our healing gift. If we conceal our wounds out of fear and shame, our inner darkness can neither be illuminated nor become a light for others. To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means.”
    ― Brennan Manning

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you! EACH of you! The outpouring from this Blog has been tremendously uplifting! (And Bob: I LOVE BRENNAN! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, I never knew that some people won't go to certain places because they feel the employees shouldn't be working there. That's a little sad, considering there could be any number of reasons why those people are working. I'm glad you've had people adopt you for some of the holidays, and I think it's a super cool idea to reach out to other people during the holiday season. That's what my sister and I are going to be doing, since we won't be able to come home for Thanksgiving and maybe even Christmas. So, I know I can't relate to all the emotion in this post, since I haven't been single as long as you and so haven't had to experience as many holiday seasons alone, but I also know what it's like to be lonely and to feel stuck in your head, so I'll remember to keep you in my prayers this holiday season. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete