Monday, September 17, 2012

Yesterday, I turned 30.

Apparently turning 30 is supposed to be a milestone.

For those of you in your 30's: was it?
For those of you not in your 30's: I don't know what to tell you.

I do know, however, that I rang in my 30's by running a 5k for the first time, napping, drinking coffee, a Girl's Night, watching movies and eating until I almost couldn't eat anymore. That was pretty fabulous.

What I also know is that I am now 30, single, a job hunter & worship leader. Most 30 year olds where I live have been professionals for at least eight years, are married, own houses or condos and have a 10-20 year plan for their lives.

I, on the other hand, have never been that person. I have, what I believe is, anyways: job and/or life ADHD.

Sometimes I view this as a negative thing.. and as I am currently hunting for a second job and feeling like "I'm never going to have my life together and be mature", a friend recently said to me, "Shauna: you know what though? You'll probably find that most people will be and are jealous of you. Think of everything that you can do being not only single: but not tied down with debt, mortgages and climbing cooperate ladders..."

So between that conversation & my turning 30, I've decided to make a list of all that I have accomplished in the last decade:

*Completed Bible School (Which included 8 months in one of the most amazing places on earth: Prince Edward Island, Canada)
*2 Missions Trips to Texas (a couple of days in Mexico).
*Choir Tours throughout New England, the Maritimes & Ontario.
*Toured for 3 months singing & dancing around the US, New Zealand & Fiji.
*Lived in a beach town in Southern California for a year.
*Joined a band for a couple of years.
*Worked with incarcerated teen girls.
*Worked odd jobs such as: Talent Agent, a bridal Store, a camp administrator, a busser & hostess, McDonald's, daycares, a Gym Opener/Administrator, a Kindergarten Aid, etc.
*I've lived by myself. Have had roommates. Lived with families. (Short Note about this: the Christian Life is not meant to be lived alone. That's a fact.)
*I've gone on about 3 dates in my entire life.
*I fell in love with coffee.
*I walked away from God for a time and thankfully: He never stopped pursuing me. I believe, in fact, that He loves me. (I'm still tryin' to figure this one out.)

You know what? I'd say I've had quite a life in those 10 years.... I can't wait to see what He has in store for me for the next 10 years.

2 comments:

  1. my 30th year I fell in love
    my 31st year I am falling even more!!! So yes, I would say that I loved being 30! I can't wait to see where it takes you! i am soooo stoked that I can read about your life again, even though I love your emails more!!! Love EB

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm 29 and married. people look in and think, "she's got it all together".

    but i have no children, poor health, and we've just moved back into our renovated-after-a-tornado apartment. my wardrobe is outdated, my responsibilities are mounding, my bills are suffocating, i'm starting a new job, and somehow i still feel like a kid.

    but i love my life! my family lives just blocks away, my nephews know me, i don't LOOK sick (which counts for something!), we're happy home-renters ("no thank you" to THAT headache!), and i sincerely don't know ONE person who knows how they got "THIS old!".

    so we have some things in common: we evaluate and contemplate our lives, realize none of it is what we expected, give thanks, and wait for heaven. cuz that's what we're storing up for, and that's where our Saviour is.

    good job, my friend!
    to the journey!

    ReplyDelete